Who Can Serve As Pallbearers?
Pallbearers at a funeral service are those who escort or carry the casket. In most instances, there could be 6 to 8 pallbearers. This number depends on how many handles the casket has. Sometimes, the casket could have two handles on either end, while at others, it might have three, which means that eight people can serve as pallbearers at the funeral service. Here is some information that can help:
- If you have decided to be a pallbearer during the funeral service of a loved one, it is something to be honoured about. Many people also preplan their funeral and need to determine who can serve as pallbearers. When you are making your selection, think about the people that you would want at the ceremony. Close friends or family members are the first choices.
- Men, as well as women, can serve as pallbearers as long as they can bear the weight of the casket. Sometimes there are also honorary pallbearers when a person is physically incapable of lifting the casket. The person would only walk alongside the casket and follow it while it is being carried.
- There is no hard and fast rule as to the number of people that can be honorary pallbearers.
- There are some common choices in pallbearer selection, such as adult children, siblings, nieces and nephews, colleagues, close friends, grown grandchildren, etc. You have the freedom to choose any person you like to be a pallbearer at your funeral.
- Some people opt for cremation, and there may not be a casket at all. In such a situation, there would be no need for pallbearers. However, if there is a casket present at the service, you would need to consider which pallbearers to select.
Have any questions about obituary, cremation, or related funeral services, contact us, or give us a call (604) 888-9895. We at Arbutus Funeral Service will be happy to help.
We are here to guide you and can also help plan a funeral service or memorial service as required. Contact Arbutus Funeral Service with your requirements for more details about funerals and other related topics.